Thursday, May 20, 2010

Moving the Kilns

After 3 weeks of searching for a homeowner's insurance policy, it seems that the sticking point is the kiln inside the house. It's a totally stupid place for a kiln. We knew it the first time we fired it. We also knew that the odds were better for a mouse chewing through electrical wires to start a fire than the kiln. However, we are not issuing insurance policies.

So, I am back to the idea of moving the kiln outside. I know I need a concrete pad. I'll call Bailey to get the specs. I'm pretty sure I can move it through the doors with a forklift. Gas and electricity need to be run. I have no idea what this will cost or how to choose where to put it. My current policy will not be renewed after June 12, so I either have to get it moved in 3 weeks or shutter the business until I can get it moved. I can't fire until I get a policy, so I guess I'm de facto shut down anyway.

I'm not sure this is the kind of project I can supervise on my own, but Jay leaves tomorrow for 4 weeks. The Studio Tour is in 3 weeks. I am feeling pretty screwed right now. And it's all my fault for being honest. I'll be neither the Cravens nor Blue Rock Studio were up front about the kiln.

I'm trying to look at the bright side. With the kilns outside, I could move my studio into the carport, freeing up the entire basement to eventually be finished for living space, and maybe even a guest room. I'd love to have natural light in the studio and not have to shlep clay and pots up and down the stairs.

Stay tuned for developments.


  1. do it- move the kiln out and get insurance.
    Our work studio burned down in July 2008 from lighting and if we had not had insurance we would be flipping burgers to pay the bills.
    Plus- it sounds like you have a great follow up plan to move into the carport.

  2. What a hassle -- but the more excited you get about a new studio space the less mad you will be about having to move the kiln. And it is better to know that if you had a fire & been dishonest about the kiln -- insurance might not have paid for damages whether the fire was started by the kiln or not. Now you don't have to worry.

    Hope moving it happens with ease!

  3. In your negotiations, have you found out if it matters if the kiln is gas or electric? Not that anything insurance companies do makes sense. I'd imagine there are far more losses due to candles than kilns, but they don't ask "Do you have a candle in your garage?'

  4. being a potter isn't easy that's for sure. I just ordered my kiln, but still trying to decide where to put it garage or a shed. here in Florida everything has to be engineered and permitted even a tiny shed, so much more costly. Is there someone else who can fire some work for you before the studio tour? I'm taking some of my stuff to be fired and was happy to get it off the shelves to make room for more. Good luck with the moving of the kiln, got my fingers crossed for you that it goes as smooth as it can.

  5. I left you a post on Clay Club about moving the kiln, but you really are going to be safer with it away from the house. I paid a guy that installs HVAC systems $500 to hook up my gas kiln. He did a really good job and knew what he was talking about. a lot of the potters around here use him. Good luck, It took me 4 months to get my kiln happily settled and ready to fire, just be patient!