Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Life Lessons

I love Nick Nolte's character Lionel from "New York Stories" as he stands in front of a gigantic canvas with Procol Harem blaring throughout his studio. "A Whiter Shade of Pale" definitely has its place in my musical repertoire.

Ben's note to Mom



I listen to lots of different music while I'm in the studio, depending on my mood and what I'm doing. I've discovered that I throw better pots listening to Moby than Jane's Addiction. Older U2 can get me through the doldrums of wedging, and "In Through the Out Door" keeps me focused when I'm taking photos.


My basement studio is a wreck

I realized this week that with over 4000 songs on my iPod, I have listened to nothing but Neko Case's "Middle Cyclone" album for two weeks. I may be in a musical rut, but I'm definitely rolling out some pots.

5 comments:

  1. I know that feeling! I tend to listen to pretty much the same album when I'm in a groove on the wheel. Velocity by MindBender...
    It just seems to help focus on the motion of the wheel, and the sound of the clay through my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we had to give up hard rock and there days when we listen to NPR and other days it is a music day.
    Some times we listen to nothing.
    After almost 30 years we are always looking for something new.
    Mark has discovered Outlaw country .....some days I can do it and other days....

    ReplyDelete
  3. U2, loud, is my go-to when I'm not listening to podcasts or books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Neko! We got to see her at Bonnaroo last year and later I saw a photo of Bruce Springsteen seen there at the stage watching her and I was in the same spot, apparently I had been standing right there beside him and didn't even know it. Have you seen her sparrow video? really pretty art work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Neko Case is an exception to the rules. I love her!

    ReplyDelete