Thursday, March 19, 2009

Back in the Studio!

I am feeling like a new person! 3 consecutive days in the studio and a couple of hours of yoga this week, and I am energized! Day 1 is just throwing cylinders. That is how most of my work starts. Day 2 I start cutting and assembling. It's pretty spontaneous.
After last week's Clay Club crit, I tried to think about my intention with these pots:sculptural or functional. As I started assembling pieces, I realized that function is important, at least with this group of pots, not that I feel it is my place to determine exactly what that function is or should be.
I work in groups of 3 to 4 pots at a time. Any more than that and I can't keep up with how fast they dry, and the seams crack. I piece together the perimeter, occasionally adding darts, reinforcing the seams with small coils. While those are setting up, I cut and play with the handles. These are generally cut from the cylinders as well, but I am thinking about pulling some handles. I really like to see how expressive the curves can get with the handles. Then I either cut and open a cylinder flat or roll out and texturize a slab for the bottom. I attach the bottom before the handles since it is easier to get to the bottom seam without the handles in place.
I finished these 2 on Wednesday and another 2 today. I dry them slowly under plastic to avoid cracking. All said and done, I spent about 9 hours in the studio on these 4 baskets. I'm usually more productive, but I was consciously trying to work through some new ideas. It's time well spent in the long run.
Well how about that: a post about pottery. It feels good to be back in the studio.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this and learning a little about your artistic process. I have done a little ceramics in the past, but I am fascinated by clay and pots. Keep up the beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete