Saturday, July 18, 2009

Accio Tools!


Magic in the studio this week. Well, I kicked ass for about the last week and a half, hoping to finish enough work to fire a cone 10 before Bele Chere. I finished the work: about 35 wine bottle coasters, 30 heart bowls, 8 baskets and several ikebana pots. Unfortunately, time was not on my side, and the work didn't dry fast enough to get bisqued with enough time to glaze fire. Oh well. I cleaned my house instead.

My darling daughter decided to document me throwing and piecing my pots. She loves to be with me in the studio, but not to make art. She organizes my glaze ingredients and straightens up my work table. Above, I am piecing together several baskets. I didn't crop out all the shit in the background: one of the closet doors from the demolition (there are a total of 5 and I can't for the life of me figure out why we didn't haul them to the landfill), the rolls of photo background and the wire hanging from the ceiling. I work in a dungeon.



Here are three baskets setting up so I can attach handles. After reading about this tip, I tried waxing the joints, and, although not foolproof, I think it helped keep the cracking to a minimum. These are made with Zella Stone and were loaded in the bisque earlier this evening.

Even though a gas firing is out, I have almost enough work for a cone 6 electric before Bele Chere. I may not be able to help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment